Tuesday, December 20, 2011

New Zealand recap

This is it - my last New Zealand blog! I could ramble about how this has been the most incredible six months of my life and how I met such amazing people and I'm so changed and inspired, but you already know what I'd say, so instead I thought it would be fun to recap some of my favorite moments and include some fun stats as well.

Exploring the pretty coast near Christchurch, the first day all the exchange students hung out and the first day where I started feeling like I was going to make friends and my time in New Zealand was going to be amazing.

Total days in NZ: 169

Spring break crew on the beautiful beaches of the Abel Tasman Track, the longest multi-day hike we did.

Total distance hiked: 315km/200mi

On the summit of Mt. Fyffe, possibly my favorite hike we did in NZ because the views were so expansive in every direction and it looked really badass even though it wasn't that high or difficult.

Nights not spent at home: 46 (27% of time)

Crew in Arthur's Pass, our backyard playground, on a very typical hike - river crossings, gorgeous mountains, cramming into a hut built for two, building a big bonfire, boxed wine and introducing the Kiwis to the joys of smores.

Breakdown of nights not spent at home:
- tent: 18 (~8 freedom camping)
- hostel: 13
- DOC hut: 7
- couchsurf: 4
- WWOOF: 4

Entering Cave Stream, a 40 minute trek through a narrow cave up some waterfalls and out the other side - epic, adventurous, and best because our fearless leader Andrew didn't spoil the surprise of what an awesome time we were in for!

Percent of lectures attended: ~60%
(but grades: A-, A-. B!)

The perfect day of life at Ilam Apartments - hanging out with the exchange students in the sun, not going to class, getting up to mischief and loving life.

Longest hiking trip: 3 days on the Abel Tasman Track, difficult because we planned to go out and back so we carried 6 days worth of stuff

The breathtaking Welcome Flats hot pools, all pristine and surrounded by mountains and free but well earned after a seven hour hike in the rain! Possibly my favorite spot of everywhere I went.

Longest day of hiking: 21km/13mi (Abel Tasman)

The epic Tasman Glacier at Mt. Cook - you just can't tell from the picture how blue and silty the water was or how huge the lake and icebergs were. This view literally took my breath away when we came up over the ridge.

Most elevation gain hiking in one day: 1400m/4500ft (Mt. Fyffe)

Spring at the stunning Lake Tekapo - these colors are real, not photoshopped. Especially meaningful because this is the first spot my mom saw outside of Christchurch!

Summits conquered: 5

The stunning Routeburn Track, a great experience to share with my mom and one of the most beautiful places in NZ.

Number of weekend trips: 8

Lake Harris on the Routeburn Track, just before the helicopter picked us up to take us over the pass because of avalanche danger - so cool!

Weeks of travel outside of school: 7

The most perfect reading spot ever, Lake Mackenzie on the Routeburn Track. Nothing happier than quiet moments in the sun.

Sunrises watched: 5, including one from the plane in each direction

The iconic and beautiful Milford Sound, probably the most famous spot in NZ.

Photos taken: 2151

Incredible Milford Sound cruise - even more ominous and cool in the gloomy weather and just so enormous with so many waterfalls!

Number of people I knew when I got to NZ: 0

A rare break in the weather on Mt. Taranaki, well worth the climb.

Hours, door to door, it takes to get from Seattle to Christchurch: 33

Super fun mini camping road trip, here enjoying the "sun" at Lake Taupo in "summer".

Time change between Seattle and Christchurch: 3 hours

Rainbow on Lake Tarawera. Dahlia and I stayed here for free in exchange for an hour or two of weeding per day - what is life?

Number of countries I met people from: 14

Kayaking in paradise, relaxing on Lake Tarawera and floating around talking about life.

Rides hitched: 8

Hitchhiked 400km over 3 days with many random changes of plans. We were loving spontaneity and the freedom of having everything you need on your back!

Percentage of savings spent: 90%

The one sunny day we got in our last few weeks, loving the beach at Mt. Maunganui in the midst of our hitchhiking adventures.

Flights taken: 8

A photo probably representative of my whole NZ experience - beautiful scenery, fun, carefree, inspiring, flexible, and in the company of incredible people.

I'm devastated that this experience has come to an end but I know I'll always carry it with me and it will propel me on to do more of the same. I'm just so grateful to have had this opportunity, I'll never forget you New Zealand!

1 comment:

  1. Dudeeee I love this post so much! ahhhhh freeekinn epic times.... oh life...

    ReplyDelete